incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: IP Clearance Milestone
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2011 15:14:50 GMT
Thanks, Louis.
Not all project announcements from the ASF take place in the form of a press release. Many
are blog posts or sent to the announce@apache.org list. We reserve press releases for formal
announcements, such as statements from the Foundation, TLP major version releases, graduating
from the Incubator, etc.
As such, I'm confident that you'll be able to work with the (P)PMC to sort out the message
and dissemination approach as appropriate.
Kind regards.
-Sally
[from the mobile; pls pardon spacing/spelling errors]
-----Original Message-----
From: Louis Suárez-Potts
Sent:  24/12/2011, 10:08  AM
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: sallykhudairi@yahoo.com; ASF Marketing & Publicity
Subject: Re: IP Clearance Milestone

Hi all,
Sorry, read messages in reverse order….

On 2011-12-24, at 06:45 , Ross Gardler wrote:

> Thanks Sally,
>
> So the message to the AOO community is to get the English language versions
> approved with enough time for translation.

Or vice versa, to English. Not all original things start off in English.

> For single language, non-English releases we need to give as much time as
> possible, but they still need to go through the usual review process.

Who reviews? Say you don't have reviewers for some of the languages….. At the moment, for
this release, that's likely not a problem. But, by the end of OOo, we had many languages and
many local reps pushing non-anglophone versions (translations, that is).  There was no efficient
way to synchronize all the languages. We went with major languages, which were usually done
first, and then as the less-staffed ones came up with translations, those went out.

We had to trust the local lead that her translation was a translation and not page from Monty
Python.

But, isn't this all about trust, anyway?

Louis