incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:42:37 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Dec 21, 2011, at 5:19 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> Hi Dave;
>
> --- Mer 21/12/11, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> ha scritto:
>> Pavel,
>>
>> Thank you for your perspective. I think a properly released
>> OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 is totally possible.. I recall Martin
>> came to the list with the idea. We took separate paths.
>
> OOo 3.3.1 is impossible, We only release stuff under AL2.
> I am sympathetic to such release but I don't see it possible.

The keyword is "properly" - it is only possible with correct branding and attribution. This
is an invitation to a public discussion. It becomes moot as this project picks up steam.

I've been seeing Martin and Stephan's names all over the website.

>> There is now a chance to bring these paths together.
>>

> That indeed can happen. We will surely want to fold TOO's
> changes into AOO 3.4 (except for some of the branding stuff
> that we still have to do on our own).
>
>> But the discussion has to happen here on the Apache
>> OpenOffice (incubating) project list in public.
>>

> Absolutely.
>
>> Oracle assigned the trademarks to the Apache Software
>> Foundation and now the ASF as a non-profit must hold that
>> asset in trust for the public.
>>
>> www.openoffice.org will be on Apache Infrastructure soon.
>> It will remain. Versions like 3.3.1 could be supported.
>> Every committer to AOO has authority to edit the website.
>> Even that is under CTR.
>>

> The WWW migration is becoming increasingly important.

Certainly - ooo-site-staging.apache.org just got two more topnavs. I'm cleaning up mail subscriptions
and we are down to some last policy pages. It is close..... see Kay's thread.

> As a
> result of the Open Letter we were Slashdotted:
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/12/21/1612224/asf-lays-out-its-plan-for-openofficeorg
>
> Some of the comments denote deep misunderstanding of the
> incubator's work and still point to the openoffice.org site.
>
> I don't think at this point we should worry too much about
> what TOO does or doesn't, the spotlight is here, and I am
> pretty sure everyone is curious of what will come out in
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4.

Yes. Who's going to write a new blog entry.

Regards,
Dave