incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: 3.4 release plan
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:57:33 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Kay Schenk  wrote:
>> Specifically I get comments from friends that the "Check
>> for Updates" from the Help menu no longer functions due to URL update
>> changes. Are there similar areas that we need to document?
> Is this an issue with OOo 3.3?  The earlier 3.4 beta?  Or with the
> recent AOO 3.4 test builds?

The only place where this is an issue is OpenOffice.org 3.3. I don't
know about OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta, but update notifications do not make
much sense in (unfrequent) beta releases anyway. The recent Apache
OpenOffice dev builds do not support notifications: the menu item is not
there.

By the way, the problem users experience is not related to code changes
but to infrastructure changes: the update notifications server is
unreachable since it was not migrated together with the other
*.services.openoffice.org services.

I usually answer users along the lines of "The update server is
unavailable due to migration; it's not important to restore it now since
there would be no update to announce anyway; it might be that things
change when a stable release is out" (I remember Martin Hollmichel or
some other well-known guy saying that in principle it would be possible
to get that service running again).

To anybody not familiar with the concept: update notifications are not
product updates (don't think Firefox); the command just tells the user
"No updates available" or "A new version of OpenOffice.org is available,
please open www.openoffice.org and download it". So it seems feasible to
replace it.

Regards,
   Andrea.