incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Improving the look of the our website
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:53:46 GMT
On 12/29/11 1:11 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> First, I want to congratulate Dave, Kay, Gavin, and Joe for all of the work and no small
amount of sleep-deprived nail-biting to kick off the cut-over to ASF custody and operation
of the openoffice.org static web site.

> This is a big day.

+++1, this is really great, thanks

Juergen

> The journey of the site through Apache OpenOffice incubation now has a tangible existence
in the world.

> Concerning reviews, defects, clean-ups, etc.,
>
>   1. It is easy to see many little things and perhaps some big things.
>
>   2. It is easier to report a defect than to provide a "patch" and there are many more
folks who can do the first while having no idea about the second.  Also, it is rather incoherent
for many of the little things to require bug reports.

>   3. My suggestion is to use some structure on the wiki to visually capture observations,
evidence, and suggestions of remedies.  Some will be defects that may need to be reported
via bugzilla.  Some will be recognition of improvement opportunities and suggestions.  Using
a coherent structure also allows folks to see and review the observations and suggestions
that have already been made, saving repetition and perhaps inspiring further comments.

> I'm not sure what is a good structure, and it would probably have to be curated by someone
who keeps it edited and tidy.

> My thought would be use of OOOUSERS.  For the truly obsessive, a progression (but on
the web structure) such as my offering on the Windows Installation process may be appealing:<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.
 This is meant to be updated/branched as new builds change the information and as additional
variations are explored.

> There is similar visualizable material on the discussion of logos and icons,<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal>.
>
> Also, commenting is easy and list posts can refer to the materials relatively easily.
 (I think I'll put permalinks to anchors on those so it is even easier to point to particular
places and images.)

> I'm off on other tasks.  I'll see what I can do in the next 24 hours to seed something
for site review, etc.

>   - Dennis

Skills needed: graphic design, web design, good taste.  Skills gained: Markdown syntax, Apache
CMS

>> I would like to help in the Web Design Process, if you would like to accept my help
please answer me back. Thanks

> We accept help and ideas from anyone. Help can start small with finding flaws on the
websites and suggesting patches.