incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2011 17:47:00 GMT
On 15/12/2011 Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Suggestion: instead of creating two Italian lists, create only the
> users-italian@ (whatever name) one.

OK, and this is what we did.

> Then create the i10n@ list, and use that for the dev-italian@ work - or
> any other development work in different languages. That way, people
> working on code or translations in different languages all have one
> "home" for the time being. ...
> Just a suggestion... not sure if it works, but it's worth thinking about.

I thought a bit about this, but I don't think it will work. N-L
communities are interested in end-users discussions, generic support,
and a series of activities, like localization, QA, marketing, education.

I see more reasonable and more focused that we group those "activities"
by language (or by geography when it makes sense) and that we rely on
"liaison persons" that will be the contacts between localized lists and
this list. This way, for example, a translation deadline could be
communicated here and forwarded to a hypothetical Italian "activities"
list, and conversely a suggestion discussed on that list could be
reported here.

It is much more likely than, say, an Italian volunteer helps with both
localization and QA of the Italian version rather than an Italian
localization volunteer helps with the French localization; this is why I
would separate by language rather than by type of activity.

Regards,
   Andrea.