incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Götz Wohlberg" <goetz.wohlb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: About Team OpenOffice.org
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:37:15 GMT
Hi Pedro,

Am 20.12.11 22:56, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
> Hello Götz;
>
> First of all welcome! Part of the confusion was indeed that we
> had not really hear from TOO and it's goals and future plans.
>
> I am relatively new to both OpenOffice and Apache but one of
> the things that motivated me to join is that the Apache
> License is very open to business. If you can make some profit
> or even live out of developing your own product based on Apache
> OpenOffice (as we will call it from now on), we are all very
> happy about it. As you said there were some mistakes made by
> TOO and we appreciate that you have been working on them.
>
> Our development is very open here: we use subversion, the
> builds are pretty stable and we have finished the major
> changes required to license IP review. We still have
> work to do, especially related to rebranding (icons, logos,
> etc), dictionary distributions, and perhaps adding some
> features that were disabled but things are going pretty
> well.
>
> Keep us informed on what you are working and do let us know
> if you see opportunities for collaboration as we would
> like to avoid duplicated efforts.
Thanks for your welcome and your explanation! My priorities are no
secret: Find (1) funding, (2) customers or (3) sponsors. Unfortunately
collaboration on these topics is tricky: (1) Funding through donations
was planned to give us a starting point, but our donation campaign
caused serious hiccups. I would love to work on a model that is in the
best of interest for the ASF and our plans.

(2) Finding service customers at this point in time is also not
promising as AOO 3.4 is not out yet. So we need to focus on
OpenOffice.org 3.x.x customers. What all customers want is a guarantee
that OpenOffice.org has a bright future. We wanted to give the
long-awaited sign of life and released the requested security update -
unfortunately under a different name - which caused the next trouble. My
hope was, we find an arrangement with the ASF and have a joined
communication. This failed for the Release Candidate. Maybe there is a
chance for the final version.

But even without the approval to use "OpenOffice.org" for this one
#3.3.1 release, it was no option for us not to do it. Customer first! We
are aware of the fact that this caused again confusion but we are not
getting a single dollar for doing nothing. If we don't listen to
customers, we are not allowed to be here.

(3) Finding a new sponsor to continue to work on OOo did work out just
for some of us. I'm sure that the original developer team would still be
pretty much intact if a new sponsor would have jumped in. This annoys
and motivates me at the same time. OOo is such a relevant and important
product, that more developers should work on it. I had other good job
offerings but I strongly believe that OOo/AOO is a good place to be -
with tons of new opportunities and challenges ;-)

I can understand the criticism that we don't communicate enough. But we
also have to focus and dedicate our time on (1), (2) and (3). All our
goals have in common that they are based on OOo and AOO. Looks to me
that there is not much what we can do without making trouble ;-). But
doing nothing is not an option. So we are still trying to find our way.
The good news is that I'm receiving a lot of encourage emails with
"Don't give up!", "Keep going", etc. Let's give it a new start next year.

My best wishes to you and a happy Xmas!
Goetz