incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer>
Subject Re: R: ld: gold vs bfd
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:37:39 GMT
On 12/21/11 8:12 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> --- Mer 21/12/11, Andre Fischer<>  ha scritto:
>> Hi all,
>> I ran into a problem with a Linux build.  On Ubuntu
>> (both 32bit and 64bit) linking of comphelper failed
>> with a lot of unresolved references.  With the help of
>> Herbert I could solve this by using a different linker.
>> Instead of ld.bfd I used and could build comphelper
>> and the rest of OpenOffice.
>> On Fedora this seems to work out of the box.
>> I am now working on CoinMP (the lp_solve
>> replacement).  It builds without problems on Windows
>> and
>> Mac but has linker errors on Linux.  Eventually I
>> found that going back to ld.bfd solved this problem.
>> Has anybody else experienced problems with the linker?
>> Does anybody on this list have a deeper understanding of
>> the Linux linkers and can explain
>> what is going on and how to better solve it?
> My understanding is that gold is still experimental: it
> is the planned replacement for GNU ld but GNU ld is
> still the default for some good reason.
> The most common problems I've seen with GNU ld are
> related to the linking order:

That is the kind of problem that I ran (and still run) into in
comphelper.  Does anybody else has this problem, or is it just me?

> While here, CoinMP has some outdated components.
> I have a couple of header cleanups here:

Good to know.  A quick glance shows that these patches are against
CoinMP 1.4,  and I am working with CoinMP 1.6.  But there may be
valuable information there.  I will look into this after the hollidays.

> cheers,
> Pedro.

View raw message