incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance Milestone
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:35:33 GMT
On 12/23/11 10:52 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am pleased to announce a major milestone on our way toward a first
> release of Apache OpenOffice. (This is, of course, no official
> announcement -- I just happen to have fixed the last IP clearance
> issue.)
>
> This is not yet a release, not even a release candidate. It is a
> developer build. Use it for testing and for finding out what still
> has to be done but do not edit important documents with it.
>

> 1. All source code (used in the widest sense) under category X license
> [1] (eg copyleft like GPL) has been removed from the SVN trunk.
> This does not necessarily mean loss of features. Where possible,
> libraries have been replaced with ones that have licenses
> acceptable to Apache, and that offer the same and sometimes even
> better functionality. See [3] for details.
>
> 2. All source code under category B license [2] (eg weak-copyleft like
> MPL and EPL) is disabled by default. It is now required by the
> developer (or release engineer) to make a conscious and explicit
> decision to include category B code into the build.
>

> That means, that what you checkout from the Apache SVN server and
> build with the default switches is by default all category A license
> (permissive, like Apache, BSD and MIT) code.
>

> We all can be proud of what we have achieved so far (and by "we" I
> mean everybody on this list who has helped and contributed to this
> effort, not just the people who touched the code.)
>
> Now that we have reached this important milestone we should think of
> the remaining steps for AOO 3.4, things like:
>
> A. Remaining steps for IP clearance work:
>
> - finish the conversion of license headers
>
> - adapt references to trademark and product name, including for
> example the splash screen
>
> - replacements for lp_solve (linear programming in calc), neon
> (HTTP/WebDAV)
>
> - reintegration of dictionaries
>

> B. Testing/QA
>
> This is an important milestone because it now enables others to
> contribute to the project in areas like testing, translation,
> documentation, etc.
>

> C. This is also a good time to start thinking about appointing a
> release manager for the 3.4 release. You can read more on this at [4].
>
> Are there any volunteers?

i would volunteer to drive our first release forward, means i would i
like to collect the items we have to do to be cconform with the Apache
release management process (André's number [4]), would like to track
these items and would like to work with all of you on (this) our primary
goal for the next.

Juergen