incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Off topic
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 01:01:41 GMT
On 2011-12-15 6:03 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Graham Lauder<g.a.lauder@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The evidence actually reveals the complete opposite.  A vast vibrant community
>> with all the tension and  foibles that brings with it, that produced, marketed
>> and distributed a well featured and reliable Office suite to a community of
>> probably tens of millions of users.  Could we have done some things better, of
>> course, nothing is ever perfect but it was never as bad as you and others have
>> been painting it.
>>

> OOo was a failure because it only worked as a recipient of corporate
> charity.

First off, the real reason that the previous OpenOffice.org project - as
a project - is now dead is because Oracle made a business decision to
kill the project.  That's why part of The Apache Way is about having a
healthy and diverse community, so that one for-profit corporation's
whims of changing it's business model don't necessarily kill an
otherwise great open source project that other people are passionate
about working on.

Secondly, the rest of this thread is off topic, and personally, I don't
see arguing over theories and business models and the past helping
actually get the first AOO build running.  ooo-dev@ should be about
helping the community work together to plan and do work to move the
project forward, not trying to convince each other of our own world views.

But that's just me.

- Shane