incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: old colored vs new monochrome icons
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:32:32 GMT
Am 12/15/2011 08:39 AM, schrieb J├╝rgen Schmidt:
> On 12/14/11 10:31 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> Am 12/14/2011 03:39 PM, schrieb Gianluca Turconi:

>>> I understand your point. Then a double-way solution should be
>>> implemented:
>>>
>>> a) short term solution (for which Pedro volunteered): bring back some
>>> color in AOO icons;
>>
>> ab) Because we want to be really good people, we should offer the
>> current monochrom icons, too. No doubt the default has to be for the
>> color icons.
>
> go ahead to implement it ;-)

Why? The icons are already there and nothing has to be done.

> hey nobody love this new icons and the reason is that if you use a file

Ah, you know this? ;-)

> browser on whatever system with very small icons you can't simply
> differentiate it. Every document type looks equal.
>
> Ok the promoter of these icons would say, and where is the problem it's
> all ODF. The different file extension is only a minor detail ...
>
> And yes there is a little truth behind this and the overall idea to push
> a unique icon set for ODF files over the boundaries of systems and
> applications is not a bad one.
>
> But the reality is that our users prefer a clear differentiation between
> text, spreadsheet, presentation files etc. And of course provider of an
> ODF supporting application like to have their own brand in the icons as
> well.
>
> I support a) for now and would really like b) a general opportunity to
> support scheming in the office in the future. Because it's something
> that makes many users happy and of course allows a better integration
> into different desktop schemes etc.

However, I still don't see a reason to delete the b/w icons. Nothing has
to be done. The bitmaps are there, they get into builds, when we have
these icons colored then they become the default and the b/w can be
chosen manually.

IMHO a cheap solution.

Marcus