incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:15:02 GMT
A side note:

On 2011-12-14 11:33 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
>the ooo-dev@i.a.o
> is one of the moast active ML at the whole Apche project.

For those interested in activity statistics:

ooo-dev@ is clearly in the top 5 most active lists at the ASF recently.

This is a difficult situation, especially because the podling is still
in the Incubator.  We have to simultaneously ensure that the core
community of committers gets a shared sense of purpose, so they can
become a healthy community in terms of applying the Apache Way.  We also
have to - in the case of AOO - attract plenty of new contributors in all
sorts of areas, especially non-development ones.

We are adding new lists.  We should just be cautious and very clear on
how and when we add them to ensure that there's sufficient interested -
and Apache Way clueful - participants on any new lists.

It would be very very helpful if someone with an end-user writer
experience tried to better explain what each of the different lists are
for (in the perspective of a new person) at
/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html  Similarly, it would be useful to have
more pointers to that page, so newcomers can quickly and easily
understand where they might want to ask questions (or, if they're users,
perhaps the forums...)

- Shane

View raw message