incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:03:55 GMT
On 2011-12-14 6:26 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I'm really concerned about the tendency of the AOO project to keep
> proposing and seriously considering new lists (well that is probably
> over stating it, but I am genuinely concerned).

I've tried to share this concern as well.

> Each time you create a list you separate the community from itself. It
> should not happen until there is a proven need for it. Splitting the
> community in this way leads to questions like "which list should this
> be on" and subsequently "which list should I search to find the answer
> to this".
>
> The most recent example is the I10n proposal. It will, probably,
> become necessary to create such a list in the future. But i10n affects
> everyone, not just those doing translations. The discussion about how
> to structure the I10n effort in AOO should happen here where everyone
> can easily find it.

Suggestion: instead of creating two Italian lists, create only the
users-italian@ (whatever name) one.

Then create the i10n@ list, and use that for the dev-italian@ work - or
any other development work in different languages.  That way, people
working on code or translations in different languages all have one
"home" for the time being.

Yes, some Italian discussion will be moot for the other folks on the
list, but given that everyone on the list is focused on various kinds of
internationalization, they will be tolerant of different language
conversations.

Just a suggestion... not sure if it works, but it's worth thinking about.

- Shane