incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:05:11 GMT
On 12/15/11 7:36 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 15 December 2011 04:33, Raphael Bircher<r.bircher@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>> Am 15.12.11 00:26, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>>
>>> I'm really concerned about the tendency of the AOO project to keep
>>> proposing and seriously considering new lists (well that is probably
>>> over stating it, but I am genuinely concerned).
>>>
>>> Each time you create a list you separate the community from itself. It
>>> should not happen until there is a proven need for it. Splitting the
>>> community in this way leads to questions like "which list should this
>>> be on" and subsequently "which list should I search to find the answer
>>> to this".
>>
>> If you have only one list you endup with the question. "Wich E-Mail should I
>> read and wich not". I for my person read a mailing list with about 30 mails
>> per dey.
>
> I agree, but my point is that we are not anywhere near 30 mails per
> day on, for example, I10n.

REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER

exactly i think less people make use of the tags we introduce months
ago. See http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html

We also agreed that the list of used tags should grow over time and
should be extended to new discussion topics/areas.

Before we create a new list we should first use the approach of clear
tags to focus on specific discussions. With this approach it's very easy
to control which thread is worth reading or where you are interested in.

How about [l10n] for localization specific discussions.

And [??] for everything where people would like to have a separate list
over time if the traffic will grow too much.

Juergen