incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: old colored vs new monochrome icons
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:39:07 GMT
On 12/14/11 10:31 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 12/14/2011 03:39 PM, schrieb Gianluca Turconi:
>> Il giorno Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:26:02 -0500
>> Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org> ha scritto:
>>
>>> The problem is a hard-to-change default is a control issue. And all
>>> control issues are ultimately political. I'm suggesting that we turn
>>> this into a trivial technical issue and let the user choose, rather
>>> than you and me.
>>
>> I understand your point. Then a double-way solution should be
>> implemented:
>>
>> a) short term solution (for which Pedro volunteered): bring back some
>> color in AOO icons;
>
> ab) Because we want to be really good people, we should offer the
> current monochrom icons, too. No doubt the default has to be for the
> color icons.

go ahead to implement it ;-)

hey nobody love this new icons and the reason is that if you use a file
browser on whatever system with very small icons you can't simply
differentiate it. Every document type looks equal.

Ok the promoter of these icons would say, and where is the problem it's
all ODF. The different file extension is only a minor detail ...

And yes there is a little truth behind this and the overall idea to push
a unique icon set for ODF files over the boundaries of systems and
applications is not a bad one.

But the reality is that our users prefer a clear differentiation between
text, spreadsheet, presentation files etc. And of course provider of an
ODF supporting application like to have their own brand in the icons as
well.

I support a) for now and would really like b) a general opportunity to
support scheming in the office in the future. Because it's something
that makes many users happy and of course allows a better integration
into different desktop schemes etc.

Juergen