incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:33:49 GMT
Am 15.12.11 00:26, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> I'm really concerned about the tendency of the AOO project to keep
> proposing and seriously considering new lists (well that is probably
> over stating it, but I am genuinely concerned).
>
> Each time you create a list you separate the community from itself. It
> should not happen until there is a proven need for it. Splitting the
> community in this way leads to questions like "which list should this
> be on" and subsequently "which list should I search to find the answer
> to this".
If you have only one list you endup with the question. "Wich E-Mail
should I read and wich not". I for my person read a mailing list with
about 30 mails per dey. If the traffic is heigher I overfly the list
only, and pick same Mails. So I miss the information. the ooo-dev@i.a.o
is one of the moast active ML at the whole Apche project. and in fact
OOo is not realy active yet. We have no translation, we have no document
writing, we have not realy a active QA now. Even the development just
started.

OOo has a load of specialized people, for exemple translaters, or
document writer. They don't care about development. If we keep on this
one big ML project strategy we will not be able to bring this people on
board. Reading a list with 50+ is time consuming, and not everyone is
willing to spend this time. For exemple: localisation is a part who has
not everytime work. If we stand with a one big ML concept, Localizer has
to read this list for maybe nonth for nothing. This people we will
probabily lose, and that's not good.

I for exemple are happy that we have a separate marketing list. Because
I'm simply not interested in marketing at all. So I'm not subscribed at
the list. But I don't miss that sameone make a Apache OpenOffice Logo
proposal. Why? sameone brings this topic to the OOoDev. That's how
communication works. Important things you take to the main List, the
rest you discouss in smaller groups.

We have a load of people who has not joined the project yet, because
they don't feel at home here. Apache is at the Moment a good home for
developers, but Apache has no concept how to deal with localization
people, Document writer and so. They feel not realy at home here,
because Apache provide not the space for this people.

Sure the ASF has a load of experionce an building developer Communities.
But I think the OOo project has much more experience in local community
building, Translation and Localization, and Documentation. Please give
us our space we need to grow up here.