incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Images in Writer
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:52:05 GMT
Hi,

On 14.12.2011 19:46, Juan C. Sanz wrote:
> Working with documentation which have many figures it brings me some doubts:
>
>    * In which format are the images stolen in a Writer document?

The images inserted in a text document in Writer as embedded ones are stored in
their given/original format, if the native file format OpenDocument (ODF) is
used to store the text document.

>    * If I paste an image from the clipboard, is it converted to any
>      format? is it compressed in any way?

As far as I know the image is taken as it is provided by clipboard. This is more
or less controlled by the source which filled the clipboard.

>    * Is the result of insert an image an after that embed it different to
>      paste from the clipboard? (in relation with size and quality)

I am not sure if I get your question right here.
Are you asking, if pasting an image (using the clipboard) and inserting an image
(using Menu Insert - Picture - From File) produce different results?
If yes, then it depends - see previous reply - on the source which filled the
clipboard.
When I (on my Windows 7) copy a JPEG image file from the Windows Explorer and
paste it into a text document of the Writer it results in the same image as if I
insert the same JPEG image file via Menu Insert - Picture - From File.
But, may when you open the same JPEG image file in a certain other application
and copy from this application then the result may be different depending on
what this application would provide as image data to the clipboard.

>    * Is it the same insert an embed an image file in BMP format as in JPG
>      format?

I do not think so, but image experts would correct me here.
BMP and JPG, interpreted as different file formats to stored images, namely
Bitmap and JPEG, are different. Thus, the image data provided by these file
formats is typically different. I am sure that you can create a BMP file and a
JPG file from a certain image which more or less contain the same image data,
but I am not an expert in this area.

I hope that helps.

Best regards, Oliver.

P.S.: for further user related questions you can also show up at
ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list or in the user community forum
http://user.services.openoffice.org/