incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Compilation error when build libxml2.
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:50:32 GMT
On 12/14/11 7:27 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I found the problem.  It is a little more involved.
>
> Here is the procedure that did not parse correctly:
>
> lines 291-296 of testapi.c:
>
>    291: static xmlChar gen_xmlChar(int no, int nr ATTRIBUTE_UNUSED) {
>    292:     if (no == 0) return('a');
>    293:     if (no == 1) return(' ');
>    294:     if (no == 2) return((xmlChar) 'ø');
>    295:     return(0);
>    296: }
>
> Do you see the small letter "o" with stroke in the character literal in line 294?
>
> This is from Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition.  I also opened it in jEdit, which tells
me when files are not in my preferred default of UTF-8.  I was able to confirm that this particular
file is in ISO 8859-1 single-byte format.

> That means the character is the same as U+00F8.  I extracted that much and checked in
a Hex Viewer and it is indeed 0xF8 in that position.

> So here is the replacement:
>
>    294:     if (no == 2) return((xmlChar) 0xF8); /* Small Letter O with Stroke */
>
> That's the name for Unicode code point U+00F8.
>
> It is probably a matter of the compiler being de-railed by non-C-Locale printable characters
or other character-set encoding and detection issues.

> You might encounter more of these.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> [That was the easy part.  I then had to figure out how to rebuild that monster tar.gz.
 WinZip will extract them, but not make them.  Fortunately, the Windows 7 Ultimate POSIX Subsystem
has bash and I
> could figure it out reading the man pages for tar and pax (my favorite from many years
ago).

> I notice that my file is bigger.  It may well be a result of replacing tabs by spaces
in testapi.c, since the growth is by more than 50k bytes in that 1.4MB file.  I didn't attempt
to fix that.

> You can safely conclude that this is the first time I ever committed anything to any
Apache code base.]

it would be good to know on which system you have the build problems. I
know several people who built on Windows 7 frequently and it worked.

Juergen