incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio F Filho <filh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About the Former Native Language projects
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:05:21 GMT
Hi

On 10-12-2011 20:12, Louis R Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Regular readers of this list might recall discussions by Khirano, Rob
> and others about the fate of the Native Language projects in OOo. I'm
> not sure what the outcome was, and a quick browse of archives didn't
> really enlighten me, as it seems things were left hanging.

+1.

> I'd like to see if we can resolve this issue. A recap: OOo had many
> "native-language projects" in which non-coding discussions were in
> the native tongue, e.g., Russian, Viet, Brazilian Portuguese,
> Gaelic(s), and so on. At any given moment there were about a hundred,
> and one can see these listed still at http://projects.openoffice.org
> /native-lang.html.

It is true. The focus *only*(?) over code, IMHO, is a error. We have
many good people that haven't idea about programming, but have good
ideas about promotion, artwork, and other fronts.

> Now to the present issue. I've written that I would rather focus
> here, in Apache land, on coding. But that only opens the door, as it
> were, to establishing the very successful Native Language modules
> either in another wing of Apache (??) or outside the Apache frame but
> corresponding to it, so that QA, a key element of the NL projects,
> for instance, could be tied in. Licenses, etc., would have to be
> harmonised. And I'd also suggest using a simpler work medium, such as
> wikis.

I agree with you, Louis. QA, doc and other elements where is not
necessary coding skill, giving more freedom for non-tecnical people help
the project.

> PS The majority of the NL projects reformed to constitute
> LibreOffice. Because of disparities of license, I suppose
> harmonisation of effort will be more difficult, but by no means ought
> it to be abandoned, if actual contributors deem it worthwhile.  I
> dislike duplication of effort both as a project manager and as
> someone who then has to persuade the bewildered user that A and B are
> just alike but one is more equal than the other.

I think that more that the license issue, we have a lot of people
unhappy with the way that LibO is following, the same people that was
part of NL and chose in go to LibO believing in a thing and finding
other, so, i think that  really have people interested in help here, but
with this posture of Apache are lost, without idea where help. Maybe is
time to consider better this position and find a place for this work's
force.

Bests,
Claudio