incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Build AOO on Ubuntu
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 18:07:33 GMT
On 12/9/2011 11:47, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:19 AM, linyi li<lilinyi921734@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I downloaded source code from svn recently(by svn co
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk ooo), and T want to
>> build on Ubuntu followed the guide
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux
>> .
>>
>> But there is problem. After configure, I want to run"./bootstrap". But I
>> can not find bootstrap.
>>

> Something to consider:  For every new developer that tries to build
> and fails, because the build guide is outdated, there are probably
> several others who try it, fail, and then just walk away and are never
> heard of again.  A bad initial experience for developers is harmful to
> the growth of the project.

+1

> Does anyone have any thoughts on why the Build Guide is not updated?

That I can describe exactly: Bjoern Michaelsen isn't around to push it.

> Do the right people not have write access to that page?

Anyone with a wiki account can edit the page. Anyone can sign up for a
wiki account. Anyone who needs some hand-holding is welcome to ask (here
on this list, by private email, or on my User:TJFrazier talk page); I
consider that part of a sysop's duties.

> Would it be
> better to put this info where all committers have the ability to
> update, like here:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html

Probably not. My thinking is that the more volatile the information, the
more it belongs on a wiki, rather than a web page. Wiki pages are much
faster and easier to update, which means they should be more likely to
/be/ updated when they need it.

> -Rob

/tj/