incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: replace and removal of Berkeley DB
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 13:44:03 GMT
Hi Oliver,

> Hi Eric,
>
> thanks for the feedback.
>
> You are right and I forgot to mention it:
> - The installed extensions using a user configuration of a former
> installation will not work as the data files for the extension
> management as changed.
> Thus, I am proposing not to reuse a former user configuration.

That would be an exaggeration. Instead of re-using it you could migrate
it, leaving extensions out. As we will want to change the name of the
profile we will have to migrate anyway.

There is a migration service somewhere in the desktop module that gets
the information about what should be migrated (copying files,
configuration entries, etc.) from a configuration file. For everything
that can't be migrated in this very simple way it also allows to
implement plugable services that migrate particular parts of a user
profile. Which services should be executed is part of the configuration.
One of these services that already exists in the OOo source code is a
service to migrate extensions. Just leaving this service out in a
migration should be enough.

Regards,
Mathias