incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [code] usage of Berkeley DB
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 06:29:15 GMT
>> Using a database system to manage a handful of extensions sounds like "using
>> a sledge-hammer to crack a nut" and a rather tiny nut at that.
>>
>> I'm looking into replacing it with something much simpler.
>
> How about a file called extensions.properties or extensions.ini or
> something like that.  If these are really just string name/value
> pairs, and we're dealing with, say, 1000 or fewer of them, then a
> linear search of then should be fine.

Yup, that's plenty sufficient. For the in-memory structure I prefer an
map (unordered or ordered) though because it scales much better.

> Also, do we know, are these UTF-8 strings, UTF-16, or just ASCII?

Neither: it is a concatenation of UTF-8 strings and values separated by
an invalid UTF8 char. For details please see the code comments starting
with "Old format" or "New format" in the source file
main/desktop/source/deployment/manager/dp_activepackages.cxx

Herbert