incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [code] usage of Berkeley DB
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:32:16 GMT
Hi,

here is the status of my findings regarding the usage of the Berkeley DB:

It is used in modules l10ntools, xmlhelp and desktop.

In module l10ntools it is used by 'dead code' in a tool called 'HelpLinker'. The 
'HelpLinker' tool is used in module helpcontent2 to prepare the help content 
data for the help system. As this is 'dead code' I have already removed it in my 
local environment. I have checked the resulting installation and the help system 
still works.

In module xmlhelp it is used for the help system to _read_ Berkeley DB files. As 
far as I have figured out the Berkeley DB files which may be accessed are the 
ones which may have been created by the preparing the help content data.
As such Berkeley DB files are no longer created - see above - I am currently 
removing the code accessing Berkeley DB files in module xmlhelp in my local 
environment. I will follow-up on this here, when I have checked the resulting 
installation.

In module desktop it is used for the management of installed extensions. For 
each installed extension a key-value-pair is stored in a Berkeley DB file. There 
are created certain Berkeley DB files in an installation for various purposes. 
The intrinsic data type of the 'key' and the 'value' is <string>.

Thus, it looks like that we only have one 'real' dependence on Berkeley DB - the 
management of extensions.

feedback/comments/support is welcome.


Best regards, Oliver.

Mime
View raw message