incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] migration complete...at least I think so
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 04:30:44 GMT
[top posting, b/c I was getting confused about the current state of the
proposal - thus summarizing]

individual items proposed so far:
  - Download
  - Support
  - Bugzilla / Report Bugs
  - Wiki
  - FAQs
  - Forums
  - Apache Project.
  - N-L pop-up
  - Extensions
  - Templates

my take:
***a search box - that searches Forums, Wiki, web site, Doc - with
results with sections for results from each***
***then here or upper right dropdown box to pick N-L ***
  - Download
  - Support - includes Wiki / FAQs / Forums / Report Bugs / Documentation
  - Developers - Apache Project / API Doc
  - Extras - Extensions - Templates - Example docs

On 12/1/2011 8:07 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> On Sunday I plan to adjust the wrapping and build the table of subdomain re-wraps.
>>>
>>> I'll then negotiate the publish build with Infrastructure. It will hit the website
svn hard.

>>> One thing I wanted to do was add a set of navigation buttons to the ooo-site
framework.

>> Are you talking about the "I want to...." links on the current
>> www.openoffice.org homepage? Or a navigator that would be on all
>> pages?  Trying to get a uniform nav look and feel will be hard, since
>> there are so many links between the various sites, especially between
>> the static site and the wiki pages.  Unless we can get the nav uniform
>> across that boundary it may be awkward.  But if we can get it uniform
>> it would certainly be nice.
>   A row of buttons on the right just above the content for the website - for now the
same on all platforms, but ideally special for each N-L

>>> I was thinking of something like:
>>>
>>> - Download
>> +1
>>
>>> - Support
>> +1
>>
>>> - Bugzilla
>> This will be meaningless to 99.99% of our users.  But maybe could call
>> it "Report a Bug".   Of course, BZ itself is too complicated for most
>> users.
> - Report Bugs
>
>>> - Wiki
>> Is wiki really a destination, something that users are looking for?  I
>> think of it more like a technology we use for delivering content.  So
>> maybe we could highlight a link to a specific wiki area, like "FAQs".
>> But I don't know why a user would be searching generically for the
>> wiki.
> - FAQs
>
> Also -
>
> - Forums
>
>>> - Apache Project.
>>> - N-L pop-up
>> What would we be popping up?
> A list of N-Ls - it should be from a file - it can start with ISO codes, but having it
in the language in UTF-8 with the ISO code would be ideal.