incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Trademark Clearance: Apache OpenOffice
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 21:39:34 GMT
On 2011-12-01 10:56 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> The PPMC has approved the trademark and brand for the project and
> product as 'Apache OpenOffice'[1].
>
> We request confirmation that the ASF has registered the trademark in the
> US.

Trademark for what, specifically?  You don't have an available software
product yet.  ;-)

Trademarks - at least in the US - only have being as an identifier tying
a specific product to a specific organization that produces that
product, so as to prevent consumer confusion over the source of the
actual goods (typically for us, the actual software product downloads).

Normally we would not process trademark registrations - which take
resources and funding - for podlings.  But this may be a special case,
so once the AOO PPMC has a publicly downloadable release of a useable
software product called "Apache OpenOffice", we can discuss if we are
willing to start the registration process for the podling, or if we wait
(as we usually would) for you to graduate to TLP.

In any case, you should certainly treat Apache OpenOffice as our
trademark for our website and the product we plan to offer, and use a TM
by it as noted in the branding policy.

> What is the ASF guidelines for using 'Apache OpenOffice' worldwide?

Currently, the same as all the rest of our TLP projects (i.e., when AOO
wants to graduate): make sure your website and product comply with the
branding policy:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Given that our only real presence is on the web, we don't have specific
policies for different jurisdictions at this time.

- Shane