incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Off topic
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:12:20 GMT

On 2011-12-13, at 10:43 , Rob Weir wrote:

> This may be a bit hard to imagine, since OOo never really developed
> this kind of ecosystem. This was due to license and control issues.
> But we have the opportunity now to encourage a healthier ecosystem.

You are in error. Actually, OOo did develop numerous such ecosystems where one could donate
funds or contribute work. These were autonomously managed, for the most part, by the NLC projects.
But we also used a central dyad, SPI and TeamOOo, and the contributions were from users.

We also had many related businesses around the world depending upon and making money from
OOo code. Key examples are in Malaysia and region; India, but also Brazil, Spain and so on.
A lot moved to LibreOffice. But the point is ODF and the code that implements it.

That said, I would very much like to re-establish the ecosystem that we created over 10 years
of work—that's why I am a little annoyed that you so cavalierly dismissed what we have done,
but I'm sure I misinterpreted and misread and didn't read right what you wrote and my apologies,
Rob, for being impatient and no doubt unjustifiably indignant—but anyway, I'd very much
like to recapture the work.

For reference, the usual links:

http://support.openoffice.org/ lists many and points to others
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments

These two point to support options, most of which are out of date, and to those who have notified
us (or we've been told about) who are significant users of OOo. This list does not really
include LibreOffice or Symphony or other OOo-related implementations, such as EuroOffice (I
think that's its name) and so on. And there are many such.

louis