incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: 3.4 release plan
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2011 23:42:10 GMT

On Dec 30, 2011, at 3:14 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM, TJ Frazier <> wrote:
>>> Both, but all users who are on 3.3.0 (the vast majority) get an error
>>> message similar to "Could not establish Internet connection to
>>> as TJ wrote. If you open a search
>>> engine that autocompletes queries, writing "update3" will give you a
>>> nice list of popular queries for this problem, referencing different
>>> servers.
>>> I'd argue that if 3.3.0 users are getting error messages today, then
>>> They are getting the error message, and indeed the sooner it is fixed
>>> the better, even though the moment when this becomes quite embarrassing
>>> is when Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is out and 3.3.0 users are
>>> shown an error message on trying to know whether updates are available.
>>> Is this the protocol that we are using:
>>> Not sure. The wiki page seems to concern a proposed protocol upgrade, it
>>> might be that the current one is simpler. The address is set here:
>>> instsetoo_native/util/**openoffice.lst?view=markup<>
>>> (search for UPDATEURL, set to**org<>
>>> )
>>> but I don't know where the code uses it. And I don't know whether the
>>> neon library removal affects the client side of this service or not.
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.
>>> Fascinating! From 3.4 Beta I get:
>> Update<>does
not exist.
>> /tj/
> On all this...yes, I knew it was becasue the service was no longer
> available, and since, for me anyway, it's a manual pull, well at least it
> wasn't in your face all the time. concern is what to do about it
> *now* and for a future release. We have "downloads" but no "updates".
> We need to bring up the service, as *currently* sepc'd to fix current
> versions, and possibly change the URL in code (pointing to another service)
> for future releases.
> In addition to comments from  friends, this has been mentioned on the "old"
> user list.
> Anyway, on we go. We all have a lot to review before 3.4 -- which hopefully
> will be VERY soon!

If we setup a page within to respond as if there are no updates to
earlier versions at

Then I'm sure we can

(1) redirect requests to that page.
(2) replace with an appropriate message when 3.4 is available.

If someone creates the page ... then I'll work out the rest with Joe or Gavin.

> --
> MzK
> "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> by the way its animals are treated."
>                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

View raw message