incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pavel Janík <Pa...@Janik.cz>
Subject Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:22:22 GMT
[ Long mail from non-English native speaker, not written on mobile device ;-) ]

Ross,

On Dec 21, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Today Team OpenOffice released a "White Label Office" based off the
> 3.3 code.

I think the core issue here is "responsibility to users", "credibility of the product" and
"bridging the gap between the last OOo and the first AOOo".

It is very easy to feel like a member of the project that has just started, has no users (because
there is no release yet) and has no history. And I perfectly understand it - I was in the
same situation 9 or so years ago. I did not care at all about StarOffice users and I was very
unhappy to see some references to it in OOo source code and even reported issues about such
things (resulting in some ..._so modules etc.).

It is not very easy when you have been living with some product, some project, and you were
at the heart of the project for a long time, it was your daily bread, you know a lot of people
who were using the product and want to use it in the future ("responsibility to users").

I perfectly understand how Martin, Stefan and Matthias feel. I know them very well. I understand
their motivation. And I trust them!!!

All committers here do what they can to fix IP issues so Apache (WE!) can release AOOo. But
Team OOo thinks it is not enough to bridge the gap.

What has to be done now IMO?

Team OOo:

1. work closely with Apache team to get trademarks cleaned up.

2. clean FAQ and fix other issues that arise on non-technical level.

3. join the work here (I can imagine how Matthias feels when he has to read all mails here
;-), explain your goals more clearly. Some people here do not get your goals (and it is not
their fault! It is your fault - you are not expressing them well...).

Apache:

1. help Team OOo bridge the release gap between OOo and AOOo (because it helps to bring legacy
users forward to AOOo, smooths the transition) OR start thinking what can be done without
Team OOo to bridge the gap.

It is all about communication...

Oracle did a lot of good to Apache but they did a lot of bad to OpenOffice.org users and developers.
You can't choose only the first or the second part of the sentence. Both are true and you
have to see them both. More and more I read (repeated) mails from "Apache only, not OOo" (sorry
to say it this way) people, I see that you only see the first part of the sentence. That doesn't
mean I'm saying the trademarks are here to be violated!

Note: I have yet to see worst management decision than Oracle's decision to transfer OOo to
Apache *this way*. They simply cut the costs throwing their users to the air and damaging
their name in the community so badly that they will need another 10 years to get the same
"sound". And additionally Apache (WE!) can't find the right solution to this "bridging the
gap" problem (ideas? dual licensing, gradual IP cleanup?). Do WE (Apache) care at all? Do
we see both sides of the coin?
--
Pavel Janík