incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance Milestone
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2011 15:22:30 GMT
Hi… methinks IM would be easier….

On 2011-12-24, at 10:14 , Sally Khudairi wrote:

> Thanks, Louis.
> Not all project announcements from the ASF take place in the form of a press release.
Many are blog posts or sent to the announce@apache.org list. We reserve press releases for
formal announcements, such as statements from the Foundation, TLP major version releases,
graduating from the Incubator, etc.

Thanks, that clarifies things.

> As such, I'm confident that you'll be able to work with the (P)PMC to sort out the message
and dissemination approach as appropriate.

We can try. For instance, it may be the case that in usual times a Podling's bleat would not
merit Apache's Voice, and that we ought to consider the official Apache PR only for those
things that relate more directly to the Apache process, not to the availability of a new release
of an app.

That would be a useful distinction I think we can work with.

Translations then of the blog could be vouched for by the "responsable" and be part of the
blog, too (or link directly to it?).

Timing would be as usual: allot a period of time once the original text is done (in whatever
language) for localization, and if it's ready by then, great; if not, it goes out as it will.

louis

> Kind regards.
> -Sally
> [from the mobile; pls pardon spacing/spelling errors]

for this release, that's likely not a problem. But, by the end of OOo, we had many languages
and many local reps pushing non-anglophone versions (translations, that is).  There was no
efficient way to synchronize all the languages. We went with major languages, which were usually
done first, and then as the less-staffed ones came up with translations, those went out.

> We had to trust the local lead that her translation was a translation and not page from
Monty Python.