incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Announce list is live
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2011 05:33:56 GMT
On Thursday 29 Dec 2011 15:29:46 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > @ Drew: Your announcement style is on the money, exactly what is needed.
> >
> > Reasoning: We don't have a huge advertising budget and the truth of the
> > matter is, no matter how many deny it, is that  advertising dollars
> > translate into copy.  If you don't have a real story, just padding or
> > vapour, buy a chunk of ad space and suddenly BS becomes Font Page news.
> > (This doesn't apply to trade press as much, but our demographic goes way
> > beyond trade)  It is necessary therefore to actually have a story with
> > some depth and real interest to a particular Journo.  For instance:
> >  Market penetration stories would interest WSJ readers, value stories go
> > after consumer magazine audience and so on.  But the story needs
> > substance to get noticed by these people who are in fact speaking to our
> > larger demographic, who have never read Steven Vaughan-Nichols or Dana
> > Blankenhorne or Rob Weirs or Simon Phipps blogs and are never likely to.

> >> For all but 500 or so of the 84,000 this would be entirely without
> >> context.  They would say, "Apache what?  What the heck is a Podling?"
> >
> > Which would be brilliant, that means you've started a conversation, if
> > you could get them asking that question, then you have achieved a
> > significant step.
>
> Are you volunteering to write something up, Graham?
>
> -Rob

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, I got laid low by a stomach bug, xmas
overindulgence perhaps or the seething mobs of transmission vectors that come
with the crowds of last minute shoppers.

I could pad out Drew's announcement, but he's done a great job already.  I
believe Andrew Rist will have to post it on announce@ooo.

Right now I'm working on a survey methodology that we can do online because to
do a more broadbased survey I would need  to find sufficient people to do the
hard yards either on the phone or F2F.  In the normal corporate world this
would be contracted out, not an option for us given our financial resources.
Given time and the right sort of encouragement using community members may be
a possibility in the future but that's going to take a little time.

If I can add something onto the announce email rigged so that recipients to
send a reply to the marketing list I think that would be our best bet.

The first step would be a pre-notification mail, simply asking people to
participate in the survey.  A reply mail to the marketing list would be
agreement to participate.  Then we send a survey mail to those who have agreed
to the prenote with the full questionaire or could include a link to an online
survey such as survey monkey or Zoomerang (I would only use such if the
response to the pre-note was several thousand. Cost involved)

Historically responses have been in the hundreds but no prenotes and the
surveys have been long and overly complex.

Feel free to add thoughts at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Survey+Design

Cheers
GL