incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: draft - Website migration(+) announcement - draft
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:56:55 GMT
On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 15:19 -0800, kay.schenk wrote:

> [...]
>         builds that
>         >> won't interfere with the installed version (and ideally,
>         not even with
>         >> the user profile if the BerkeleyDB removal has implications
>         on that).
>         >
>         > Then maybe the announcement should just chronicle the items
>         of interest:
>         >
>         > - Developer snapshot's are becoming available - that's
>         Ariel's page as
>         > one
>         > - Daily builds are happening and there is a real location
>         for those
>         > - others?
>         >
>         > and then point them to a page (website or wiki?) for those
>         interested in
>         > getting in on the bleeding edge of testing, maybe?
>         >

>         it is a good little snippet of info.  But there is so much
>         more to
>         say, especially for an audience that we've haven't been
>         (re-)introduced to yet.  Where to start?
>
>         I wonder whether it would be worth reviving the OpenOffice
>         Newsletter?
>          This was sent out to the old announce list.  It was erratic
>         toward
>         the end, but at one point I think it was coming out every
>         month.
>
>         Some examples:
>
>         March 2011:
>          http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/announce/archive/2011-03/message/0
>
>         December 2010:
>         http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/announce/archive/2010-12/message/0
>
>         September 2010:
>         http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/announce/archive/2010-09/message/0
>
>         A format like that allows us to bundle a few small posts, news
>         clippings, announcements, etc., into a fuller package, maybe
>         with
>         greater impact.
>
>         For example, we could a series of these over the next few
>         months:
>
>         Newsletter #1:  Intro to OpenOffice @ Apache.  Announcements
>         on
>         migration, copyleft-free build, start of test effort, links to
>         blog,
>         mailing lists, migration status, announcement of pending
>         retirement of
>         openoffice.org email addresses and lists, etc.
>
>         Newsletter #2 (a month later): availability of test builds for
>         3.4
>         (hopefully on Windows by then), how to help with test effort,
>         reminder
>         on mailing list migration and mail forwarding shutdown.
>          Gathering
>         proposals for AOO 4.0.
>
>         Newsletter #3 -- coverage of 3.4 release, press clippings,
>         etc.
>
>         A newsletter could be put together on the wiki and then the
>         announcement can be a link to the online newsletter.

Alright - well, without worry about a schedule beyond this one...

Another draft..

This is HTML and not sure what the list will do with it :-/ (is it a
silly question to ask if the new announce list accepts html? )

******
Apache OpenOffice (uncubating) Logo

    Newsletter

< ꝏ January 2012 ꝏ >

Infrastructure

The Apache OpenOffice podling project management committee (PPMC) is
pleased to present a new home for the OpenOffice.org website.

OpenOffice.org Logo

The migration of such a large web presence could not happen without the
thoughtful dedication and commitment from many members of the
OpenOffice.org community, none more so then Dave Fisher, Kay Schenk, Joe
Schaefer and Gavin McDonald. The PPMC thanks all the community members
for your continued support and offers a special thank you to these
individuals for a job well done.

Development

During this migration period community developers also made great
progress with the application code. Ariel Constenla-Haile, one of the
community developers, generated binary packages, suitable for early
testing purposes, from the current Apache OpenOffice code repository.

Community

Hagar Delest  put together a summary of of EN forum activity from the
launch date to present.

OpenOffice.org User Community Forums logo
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=46497.
A graph shows the number of posts, registered members, topics and
topics marked as solved. There is nothing very exciting, which is just
what one wants after changing hosts.

F. C. Costero added this comment to the subject on the AOO development
mailing list:

        "My own experience is that there is no noticeable change in the
        forum
        since the migration to ASF except for the feather on every page.
        Thanks to the ASF infra folks for keeping all that magic stuff
        invisible."

Start the new year right

- visit the new Apache OpenOffice home now!
http://openoffice.org

******