incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: draft - Website migration(+) announcement - draft
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 20:49:19 GMT
On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 21:21 +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 29/12/2011 drew wrote:
> > During this migration period community developers also made great
> > progress with the application code. Ariel Constenla-Haile, one of the
> > community developers, generated binary packages, suitable for early
> > testing purposes, from the current Apache OpenOffice code repository.
> > Available for download at http://people.apache.org/~arielch/packages
>
> I wouldn't send out public announcements about Ariel's builds. The
> interest is huge, and people might download them just out of curiosity
> and damage their existing OpenOffice.org installation and extensions.

Well, good point. I think it is important to be clear that the code (the
application and therefore the 'thing' of real importance to users) is
moving forward also however..not sure how to do that without something
concrete to point to - as you say though it is something that can
backfire badly, if people just install those files..

> It's probably better to announce, at due time, development builds that
> won't interfere with the installed version (and ideally, not even with
> the user profile if the BerkeleyDB removal has implications on that).

Then maybe the announcement should just chronicle the items of interest:

- Developer snapshot's are becoming available - that's Ariel's page as
one
- Daily builds are happening and there is a real location for those
- others?

and then point them to a page (website or wiki?) for those interested in
getting in on the bleeding edge of testing, maybe?

//drew