incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <>
Subject draft - Website migration(+) announcement - draft (was: Re: Announce list is live )
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:30:41 GMT
On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 21:29 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Graham Lauder <> wrote:

> > @ Drew: Your announcement style is on the money, exactly what is needed.
> >
> > Reasoning: We don't have a huge advertising budget and the truth of the matter
> > is, no matter how many deny it, is that  advertising dollars translate into
> > copy.  If you don't have a real story, just padding or vapour, buy a chunk of
> > ad space and suddenly BS becomes Font Page news. (This doesn't apply to trade
> > press as much, but our demographic goes way beyond trade)  It is necessary
> > therefore to actually have a story with some depth and real interest to a
> > particular Journo.  For instance:  Market penetration stories would interest
> > WSJ readers, value stories go after consumer magazine audience and so on.  But
> > the story needs substance to get noticed by these people who are in fact
> > speaking to our larger demographic, who have never read Steven Vaughan-Nichols
> > or Dana Blankenhorne or Rob Weirs or Simon Phipps blogs and are never likely
> > to.

> >> For all but 500 or so of the 84,000 this would be entirely without
> >> context.  They would say, "Apache what?  What the heck is a Podling?"
> >
> > Which would be brilliant, that means you've started a conversation, if you
> > could get them asking that question, then you have achieved a significant
> > step.
> >
> Are you volunteering to write something up, Graham?

Ok  well, certainly we can help refine this - but here is a second draft

The Apache OpenOffice podling project management committee (PPMC) is
pleased to present a new home for the website.

The migration of such a large web presence could not happen without the
thoughtful dedication and commitment from many members of the community, none more so then Dave Fisher, Kay Schenk, Joe
Schaefer and Gavin McDonald. The PPMC thanks all the community members
for your continued support and offers a special thank you to these
individuals for a job well done.

During this migration period community developers also made great
progress with the application code. Ariel Constenla-Haile, one of the
community developers, generated binary packages, suitable for early
testing purposes, from the current Apache OpenOffice code repository.
Available for download at

Start the new year right - visit the new Apache OpenOffice home now!

Best wishes,

View raw message