incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Announce list is live
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:06:33 GMT

-

> >> It might make sense to webs site migration, along with all the other
> >> migration accomplishments as part of a general engagement with those
> >> users.  Here's what we've done, here's what we are doing now, here's
> >> what to expect in 2012, here's where to find more info, etc.
> >>
> >> Remember, aside from a few hundred people (a relatively small number)
> >> most of the 84,000 subscribers to the announce list will be hearing
> >> about AOO for the first time.   The initial note will be our
> >> re-introduction.
> >
> > right - which might be the spot where Grahams concerns start to kick
> > in.. just sayin'.
> >
> > I'm not sure from reading his posts if he is actually urging that we not
> > play this up for the moment, but delay till a release and by then to
> > have formulated and executed a more extensive re-branding...then again
> > I'm likely not fully interrupting his thoughts correctly, such is the
> > norm for written communications.
> >
> > So - in my head the answer for the moment is: keep it very simple - a
> > couple of paragraphs with the explicit aim of getting the reader to come
> > visit the new site (not so much a full overview of events)
> > - those interested can find the new communication channels on the new
> > web pages.
> >
> > maybe something a kin to -
> >  **********
> >

> For all but 500 or so of the 84,000 this would be entirely without
> context.  They would say, "Apache what?  What the heck is a Podling?"
>
> Remember, the announce list is not a project community list so much it
> is an end user list.  So we'll want to have a good model for what they
> know and what they don't know already.  My guess -- and your guess is
> as good as mine -- is that they vaguely recalled reading something
> about LibreOffice, maybe something also about Apache.  Maybe they
> recently received a note from TOO.  They are soft on the details and a
> little bit confused.
>
> Your draft, on the other hand, would be perfect for sending to
> ooo-users, and other project lists where the subscribers are already
> "insiders" of one form or another.
>
> Another idea: if you think that know about our users and their
> perceptions is worth knowing rather than just guessing, we might want
> to conduct a survey of them, including a link to such a survey in our
> initial communication.

Sure that is a good idea - how much time, realistically, do you want to
a lot for putting that survey together - if you had to name someone to
do it (draft some meaningful questions), right now, can you do that?

Just wondering on that last part - overall yes it is a good time for
that of course, if it can be done.

//drew