incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Announce list is live
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:34:22 GMT
On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 15:15 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 14:26 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> FYI, we currently have only 134 subscribers to the announce list.
> >
> > And the sky is blue - my suggestion use the website cut over for a
> > legitimate announce list class event - send to both the new and the old
> > announce list (assume and ask for it to be moderated onto the old one) -
> > put a copy to the blog, even if others a planning more extensive blog
> > posts - an extra simple post won't hurt.
> >

> It might make sense to webs site migration, along with all the other
> migration accomplishments as part of a general engagement with those
> users.  Here's what we've done, here's what we are doing now, here's
> what to expect in 2012, here's where to find more info, etc.
>
> Remember, aside from a few hundred people (a relatively small number)
> most of the 84,000 subscribers to the announce list will be hearing
> about AOO for the first time.   The initial note will be our
> re-introduction.

right - which might be the spot where Grahams concerns start to kick
in.. just sayin'.

I'm not sure from reading his posts if he is actually urging that we not
play this up for the moment, but delay till a release and by then to
have formulated and executed a more extensive re-branding...then again
I'm likely not fully interrupting his thoughts correctly, such is the
norm for written communications.

So - in my head the answer for the moment is: keep it very simple - a
couple of paragraphs with the explicit aim of getting the reader to come
visit the new site (not so much a full overview of events)
- those interested can find the new communication channels on the new
web pages.

maybe something a kin to -
 **********

The Apache OpenOffice podling project management committee (PPMC) is
pleased to present a new home for the OpenOffice.org website.

This could not have happened without the thoughtful dedication and
commitment from many of the members of the OpenOffice community, but
none more so then Dave Fisher, Kay Schenk, Gavin M. [not sure who all to
include here..help please] and the PPMC would like to specifically thank
these individuals.

[and then another paragraph or two on general information]

Start the new year right - come visit the new Apache OpenOffice project
home now!

Best wishes,

//drew