incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:19:35 GMT
Hi Dave;

--- Mer 21/12/11, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> ha scritto:
> Pavel,
>
> Thank you for your perspective. I think a properly released
> OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 is totally possible.. I recall Martin
> came to the list with the idea. We took separate paths.

OOo 3.3.1 is impossible, We only release stuff under AL2.
I am sympathetic to such release but I don't see it possible.

> There is now a chance to bring these paths together.

That indeed can happen. We will surely want to fold TOO's
changes into AOO 3.4 (except for some of the branding stuff
that we still have to do on our own).

> But the discussion has to happen here on the Apache
> OpenOffice (incubating) project list in public.

Absolutely.

> Oracle assigned the trademarks to the Apache Software
> Foundation and now the ASF as a non-profit must hold that
> asset in trust for the public.
>
> www.openoffice.org will be on Apache Infrastructure soon.
> It will remain. Versions like 3.3.1 could be supported.
> Every committer to AOO has authority to edit the website.
> Even that is under CTR.

The WWW migration is becoming increasingly important. As a
result of the Open Letter we were Slashdotted:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/12/21/1612224/asf-lays-out-its-plan-for-openofficeorg

Some of the comments denote deep misunderstanding of the
incubator's work and still point to the openoffice.org site.

I don't think at this point we should worry too much about
what TOO does or doesn't, the spotlight is here, and I am
pretty sure everyone is curious of what will come out in
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.

cheers,

Pedro.