incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject R: ld: gold vs bfd
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:12:11 GMT

--- Mer 21/12/11, Andre Fischer <andre@a-w-f.de> ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I ran into a problem with a Linux build.  On Ubuntu
> (both 32bit and 64bit) linking of comphelper failed
> with a lot of unresolved references.  With the help of
> Herbert I could solve this by using a different linker.
> Instead of ld.bfd I used ld.gold and could build comphelper
> and the rest of OpenOffice.
>
> On Fedora this seems to work out of the box.
>
> I am now working on CoinMP (the lp_solve
> replacement).  It builds without problems on Windows
> and
> Mac but has linker errors on Linux.  Eventually I
> found that going back to ld.bfd solved this problem.
>
> Has anybody else experienced problems with the linker?
>
> Does anybody on this list have a deeper understanding of
> the Linux linkers and can explain
> what is going on and how to better solve it?

My understanding is that gold is still experimental: it
is the planned replacement for GNU ld but GNU ld is
still the default for some good reason.

The most common problems I've seen with GNU ld are
related to the linking order:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/45135/linker-order-gcc

While here, CoinMP has some outdated components.
I have a couple of header cleanups here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/math/coinmp/files/

cheers,

Pedro.