incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:02:04 GMT

--- Lun 19/12/11, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> ha scritto:

> On 19 Dec 2011, at 16:56, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>
> > On 12/17/11 4:44 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
> >> Surely that's just a matter of fact, though? When
> AOO makes a new release,
> >> it will be a different codebase under a different
> brand, so on both charts
> >> would show as a new block.
> >
> > why do you think that it is a different code base? It
> is exactly the code base granted by Oracle to the ASF. Ok we
> cleaned up the code base, removed external libs, replace
> some and developed some new things. I would say normal work
> in the broadest sense ... Otherwise the code base would
> change for every release and we have blocks for each of
> them.
>
> The elimination of all non-Apache-licensed code from the
> former codebase is hardly "normal work", and the replacement
> of the functions it performed with other code from other
> sources won't be either.

We have basically removed broken code so consider it licensing
bugfixes. Oracle should have done them they just didn't have
the motivation to fix them.

> All this pretence that AOO somehow a "business as usual"
> continuation of the former project is frankly unhelpful.

AOO 3.4 will be not be significantly different from
OOo 3.4-RC, I forecast 3.5 will only bring in stuff from
the CWSs, if you are looking for a new project look somewhere
else.

> Just face up to the fact this is a new project in a new
> venue with new rules, a new license, a new brand, and strong
> historic links to the former codebase. As Graham keeps
> hinting, treating this as a strength seems to be both the
> right marketing policy and a great opportunity to move
> beyond past hurts.

I think the only new feature and strength is the licensing.