incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:07:50 GMT

--- Lun 19/12/11, Gianluca Turconi ha scritto:

> Data: Lunedì 19 dicembre 2011, 09:43
> Il 19/12/2011 15.32, Pedro Giffuni ha
> scritto:
> > If libreoffice takes the license headers it becomes
> an
> > Apache OpenOffice derivative, if it doesn't take them
> it's
> > still an OOo derivative and OpenOffice.org is an ASF
> > trademark anyways.
>
> Pedro, it's rather important *when* a derivative is made.

Look at it this way: OpenOffice.org is for all
purposes now Apache OpenOffice. By taking out the
OpenOffice.org headers and replacing them with Apache
headers they become an Apache OpenOffice derivative.

*When* is the moment they take the headers, so LibreOffice
is not yet an Apache OpenOffice derivative but is an OOo
derivative.

> Otherwise, even current IBM Symphony would be a AOO
> derivative and obviously it is not.

I understand it will be.

But then all this has only a nominal value that no one cares
about.

The big truth is that with SUN going broke and it's new
owner not interested in sharing that fate in the free
office suite market both Apache OO and LibreOffice have
a lot less than ideal manpower (I am talking about
number of developers, not quality).

No pun intended here, but none of the projects is making
major advances at this point and it's not like LO will be
replacing writer with GNU Emacs ever ;).

Of course time will tell, and I am very happy about the
changes being worked on here at Apache.

cheers,

Pedro.