incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:04:55 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 09:49 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Did you also see Michael Meeks' attempt to visualise this context?
> >  http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-11-18-graphs.html
> What that chart fails to show is the family tree.  it suggests that
> LibreOffice is something different than OpenOffice.org rather than 90%
> the same, derived from OpenOffice.

	You know - I would think the title of my blog:
Trying to visualise Open Source OpenOffice.org derivatives

	And the title embedded in the graph image:

"Recent history of Legacy OpenOffice Ecosystem Derivatives"

	Made this pretty plain :-) Of course the exact lineage of each build
from each vendor follows a rather tangled path; but no-one is trying to
deny a common ancestor between AOOI and LibreOffice.

>   It fails to show that there always has always been an
> ecosystem of projects derived from OOo code.

	Sure - my graph is mostly interested in trying to present a more
balanced view of the present, from which hopefully people may have a
better grasp of the future. Yours was (in context) talking about the
legacy tail, and frequent forking of the code-base as your title makes
clear, which is fine too in it's original context. I think extrapolating
from it carries some risk though; and it is sad to have so few
LibreOffice releases rendered.

> The fact is every user of LO is also a user of OOo code.

	Sure, and every user of AOOI is also a user of OOo code, many of us
were also very long term contributors to OOo and hence (by extension,
and unwittingly to AOOI) :-)

>  It is part of that ecosystem.

	cf. the title of my post, and slides :-)

>   Not just the past, but also the future.  For example, I see that
> Michael is looking forward to using ("cherry picking") our recent
> improvements in SVG support:

	Sure - if it is easier for us to include an existing feature, under an
acceptable license into LibreOffice why would we bother re-writing it ?
conversely if it is easier to re-write, why not ?

	I don't want anyone to get the idea that LibreOffice will be based on
AOOI, and that this is going to be the rule. The term "cherry picking"
is used advisedly - if there are cherries worth picking someone -may-
pick them from time to time as/when licensing is squared up on both
sides.

	All the best,

		Michael.