incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 00:04:02 GMT

On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:15 PM, drew wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 00:04 +0100, André Schnabel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Am 19.12.2011 13:38, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> I don't think that we can avoid having a divergence in translation
>>> strings.  New features added to LO will differ from new features added
>>> to AOO.
>>
>> I need to agree here - actually LibO has several features that AOO does
>> not have. But LibO UI has undergone some string changes as well - so you
>> even won't get 100% translation if you apply LibO translations to AOO.
>>
>>> But the underlying terms we use to describe the UI and the
>>> basic application features will remain the same.  Terms like "pages",
>>> 'sections", "sheets" and 'fonts" etc., are not going to change.  So in
>>> that case, would a shared translation memory database help?
>>
>> The setup at OOo was, that the full po repository was the translation
>> memory.  You seem to mix that with the glossary (which defines terms).
>> TM and glossary might seem similar for UI, as UI string segments are
>> normally rather short. Unfortunately - due to the complexity of the
>> software - the UI strings allone can hardly be used as translation
>> memory - they need to be accompanied with context information (location
>> in the code files).
>>
>> e.g. Sheet has at least three different german translations, same with
>> font.
>>
>> regards,
>>
> Hi André
>
> thanks for your explanations.
>
> I'm still left, as a bystander when it comes to the translations, with
> one simple question.
>
> What happened to the pootle server at OO.o?
>
> Someone has to know.

Andrew Rist asked the question rather directly of TOO in the thread "Re: How many languages
will Apache OpenOffice support?"

On Dec 16, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 12/16/2011 6:09 AM, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>> What was the state of the translations in the OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta?
>>>  That is our starting point.
>> Right. Where are the translations we had on
>> "http://pootle.services.openoffice.org"?
>
> I am afraid this is another issue related to TOO.  The server that http://pootle.services.openoffice.org
was hosted on was paid for by funds from TOO (anecdotal, but I have no reason to question
that).  TOO has retained physical custody of that server.  I have inquired about the data
on the server and have gotten no response.  I have no interest in trying to determine who
is entitled to the server itself, but the data is another issue.  I believe the data belongs
to the project, and is something Apache OpenOffice is entitled to.

> Martin, Stefan, Matthias - Can you help us retrieve this information for the project?
>

>> Thanks,
>> khirano

Regards,
Dave