incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:07:05 GMT
Dave,

My being a committer and being competent to CTR http://ooo-site.apache.org/mail_list.html
are two different things.  (Plus I don't see how that page relates to the problem I am pointing
at.)

I have not learned what it takes to contribute to ooo-site and I am not going to be setting
aside an existing backlog of promises to learn that today.

When you talk about redirecting openoffice.org to www.openoffice.org, are you talking about
a redirect on the domain name or a redirect of http://openoffice.org/index.html or whatever
the default page is?

I see you have a later message and I'll respond to that now.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:34
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

On Dec 22, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Apparently so.  I just saw Dave's affirmation of that.
>
> I've never used www.openoffice.org in accessing the site and in any shortcuts/bookmarks.
Had I not been paying attention to ooo-dev, I would be one of those who will not notice that
there is a cut-over [;<).

> So I guess there needs to be something on www.openoffice.org that lets folks know what
can still be found on http://openoffice.org and http://*.openoffice.org for *!= www.

wave@minotaur:~$ curl  http://openoffice.org
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>

There is nothing to say on http://openoffice.org/

There needs to be something said about the legacy project email on http://ooo-site.apache.org/mail_list.html

That page should be changed to promote our current lists at i.a.o.

The plan for MLs.

That http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists has the main ML including their archives. For
other MLs http://openoffice.org/projects/ is the starting place.

> Something on the http://openoffice.org page about www.openoffice.org is probably useful
too.  But deep linkers will find whatever they find.

> The only thing within my power in this context might be to wip up a blog post as soon
as cut-over happens.  Then it becomes possible to illustrate what different links will do
until there is more cut-over down the road.

You are a committer and can use the Apache CMS directly on http://ooo-site.apache.org/mail_list.html

Please CTR!

Regards,
Dave

> - Dennis

each of the OpenOffice.org projects (and NL projects) have:

>> <http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists>.
>>
>> If you have an OpenOffice.org login, you will see Subscribe and (if already subscribed)
Unsubscribe buttons for each list on that page.  Also, the archives are accessible from those
pages in a browser-friendly form.  This is how one can read the list using a browser and there
is even a way to post to the list via the web interface.

>> While some people aren't aware that there is this one-stop arrangement and use the
e-mail means of controlling their subscription, others rely on this, including TJ for administrative
functions.

>> This aspect of the mailing-list service will go away with the cut-over of the web
site.  There is no reminder or announcement about that.