incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 04:31:43 GMT

I don't know where this fits in this thread, if anywhere, but I can't resist.

 1. When I first saw the name, White Label Office, what came to mind was "generic" office.
 There was a brief time when generic (and bulk) branding of staples became the rage in supermarkets.
 The typical white-label package was that - a simple white label on the tin, with the name
of the product without any brand (e.g., "frozen peas" and "tomato paste").

 2. I then wondered if "white label" had some other, independent significance.  Indeed it
does: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-label_product>.  And here too: <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/white_label>.
 Oddly, the English phrase is apparently used in German as well.  I don't think the association
with bootleg music is intended though.  I will have to install the German-language version
of the release just to see how the identifier is used within the TOOo release.

 - Dennis

PS: I presume this is an LGPL release too.  If so, it should show up in the installer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Curcuru [mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 18:19
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)

[ ... ]

I'm not sure I'd use terms like "false" in this context.  But I do agree
(and am glad to see a specific user experience like this) that the TOO
messaging and press around the White Label Office, when taken as a
whole, is clearly confusing to users.

[ ... ]

I presume (but have not verified) that TOO has taken the original
GPL\LGPL licensed code from the earlier Sun/Oracle repositories and used
that for their White Label Office.

[ ... ]