incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: gnumake4 integration (was: Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces")
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:47:29 GMT
It doesn't matter too much how much you copy into a branch, apart from it
creating larger working copy.  But you don't need to check out the entire
working copy of the branch if you don't want.  You might need it to do builds
though.  Ask Armin.

SVN uses a copy-on-write technique, so only the files you change in the branch
take up much space on the server.  (And if they are modified on the trunk, you
won't get the new one but a copy of the old one will still appear on the
branch, as I understand it.  I've no idea whether linking can be used to keep
those parts synchronized instead.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ariel Constenla-Haile [mailto:arielch@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 05:05
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: gnumake4 integration (was: Re: [Code] strategy for "child works
spaces")

Hi Eric,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 01:04:15PM +0100, eric b wrote:
> >Question: shall I copy the whole trunk on the branch or only
> >trunk/main?
> >

> Very good question  :-)
>
> In fact, I don't know how to create a new branch with svn. Is there
> a wiki page explaining that ?

I don't use svn myself (I use git-svn), but I've found
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.using.html#svn.branchmerge.using.create

the command will be:

$ svn copy \
    https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main \
    https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/gbuild

If I only copy trunk/main

I see Armin copied the whole trunk, but in this case may be I can omit
the extras and ext_sources subrepos.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile