incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: A timeline for an Apache OO release
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:25:58 GMT
The releases have to be rebranded anyhow, because they are currently Oracle
branded.  I think having it be OpenOffice.org 3.4 and installed over
OpenOffice.org 3.3 is a very risky idea.  The quick-release cycle may be great
for our teething; users should not have to suffer any of the consequences.

OOo-dev 3.4 is not exactly "out there" as far as the public consciousness is
concerned.  Has there ever been a non-developer bugzilla against it?  I've not
seen any user-list statement of a problem by someone using OOo-dev, though I
didn't start following those lists until Summer 2011.

Also, OOo-dev 3.4 was only available in English full installs, with langpacks
for everybody else.  And, of course, there is a gigantic disclaimer against
production use.  I would think a similar disclaimer will accompany the first
podling release too.  And if it is not fully rebranded, I think it can at best
be a "technology preview" release.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: drew [mailto:drew@baseanswers.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 09:15
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: A timeline for an Apache OO release

My thought.

Given that OpenOffice.org 3.4 Beta is already out there.

An announcement along the lines of:

The Apache OpenOffice (incubating) project set a tentative release time
for OpenOffice.org Version 3.4 for the 1st Qtr of 2012.

sounds about right to my ear.

The pressure of re-branding would be lowered, I would think, moving such
to the 3.5 (or ?) release.

With the provision, of course, replace or not "1st Qtr" with whatever
the developer corps feels appropriate.

Put another way perhaps, I'd weigh the gains from a trade off of
re-branding for quicker release cycle, at this moment.

Best wishes,

//drew

[ ... ]