incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: How many languages will Apache OpenOffice support?
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:25:58 GMT
Michael,

I think the language selections are for writing aids, not UI and Help internationalization.
 You might want several even though your UI is English, for example.

If you look at the OOo-dev 3.4 beta release, you'll see that there is only a full release
(with Java JRE too, I suppose, on Windows) for English.  This will be an English UI plus writing
aids for a few flavors each of en, fr, and one for es.  All other languages, including any
UI internationalization, are via langpacks, one per listed language.  The langpack adds a
UI language and embedded help internationalizations, as available, and whatever writing aids
there are for that language, also as available.

For the supplemental Italian langpack install that I did as an experiment, when I select the
UI language to be Italian, the embedded help switches to Italian also.

The enumeration is here: <http://download.openoffice.org/all_beta.html>.

I notice that LibreOffice 3.4 install for Windows-en includes the writing aids for just over
30 native languages.  (Sometimes variants are in separate sets, sometimes multiple variants
are in the same aid folder.)  The embedded help is a separate helppack download and install.
 It's true that the installed extensions take almost 200MB when extracted into the file system,
including non-writing-aid extensions that are included in the install.

This does not answer your question about where the bar is on UI internationalization, but
it should make clear what a langpack can provide.

One factor in packaging has to do with the size of full installs on Windows and a desire to
minimize the number of them.  I have no insight into that.  There are many variables that
factor into it.  It is undoubtedly not a one-size-fits-all, but having the volunteers to create
and verify many variations is an additional factor.  It might be a reasonable downstream business
though.

 - Dennis