incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: old colored vs new monochrome icons
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:22:18 GMT
48 hours is too short.  The practice is a minimum of 72 hours for a lazy consensus. (I am not
arguing against your proposal.)

It would help us to actually know which "old icons" are being discussed here.  Can they be
seen somewhere?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ariel Constenla-Haile [mailto:arielch@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 00:24
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: old colored vs new monochrome icons

Hi Drew, all,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 09:01:00PM -0500, drew wrote:
> Howdy folks,
>
> A little late - but, I did manage to put a few hours into adding color
> to the ODF icons found on the odftoolkit site[1].
>
> To be honest at the moment I am not satisfied with these, though I
> wanted to put a teaser up for the moment:
> http://lo-portal.us/aoo/example-icons.png
>
> I will find another hour or two tonight and put the actual files I'm
> working on to the wiki.
>
> However, I have to say that after doing a little of this and looking at
> the other options the option of roling the file icons back to the 3.0
> set of files is making more sense.

I think you are right. Changing only this icons will not be enough, the
old SO icons and the MSO icons have to be changed too.
Besides, adding color to the new icons does not solve the problem in the
file pickers (icons are too small, and adding color won't help to
distinguish file types).

So I'd propose to revert the icons to the old colored ones.
It's basically reverting
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/rev/b2b4215e6f9b

In http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/old-color-icons/
you can find a patch, and a tar with the old and monochrome icons.
There will be some work to do, because some icons are missing, and the
patch did not change the templates/extensions icons in the start center,
for example; so a little research is needed (and testing, of course).

If none objects, we can commit these in 48 hours, and start fixing this
(instead of reinventing the wheel and creating new ones, or painting the
current icons).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile