incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [FONTS] Embedding in ODF -- Existing Provisions
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:53:43 GMT
I should point out that the definitions of the font-related <svg:*> elements
are tied to sections of the SVG specification (although the "svg:" prefix is
not bound to the SVG namespace).  In addition, the resolution of font names to
available font definitions is tied to CSS in ODF 1.2 Part 1 section 16.21 on

So there is more involved to dance with in developing a road map that toward
reliable font embedding and presentation fidelity.

Recent events that may support the enrichment of capability in this respect is
the recent work by Armin Le Grand on integration of a new SVG implementation
and the proposal, just posted today, on Adobe Flex becoming Apache Flex
(incubating): < http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FlexProposal>.  There is a
connection with font embedding there too.

[I haven't taken my eye off this topic, just distracted by more-recent issues
around dictionaries and some QA on installer experience.]

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 15:03
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: 'Gianluca Turconi'; 'Bart Hanssens '
Subject: RE: [FONTS] Embedding in ODF -- Existing Provisions

Here is the *technical* opening for font embedding in the ODF specifications.

In ODF 1.2 CS01 Part 1, sections 19.910.29 <svg:definition-src> xhtml:href
attribute and  19.910.30 <svg:font-face-uri> xhtml:href attribute.  These can
be relative references to internal parts of the package, of course.  That is
how embedding can be done.  MIME types are needed (in META-INF/manifest.xml)
for the  referenced parts.  The MIME type is what discriminate what kind of
font-material is there.

Element <svg:font-face-uri> (15.24) is a none-or-more alternative child of
<svg:font-face-src>.

Element <svg:font-face-src> (16.22) is an optional child of <style:font-face>.

Element <svg:definition-src> (16.25) is an optional child of

The gold is 16.21 <style:font-face>.  This only appears as a child of
<office:font-face-decls> (section 13.4).

This structure has existed since ODF 1.0, so it already appears in ISO/IEC IS
26300:2006, in ODF 1.1, the forthcoming IS 26300 alignment with ODF 1.1, and
now ODF 1.2.

This deals with the technical prospect for embedding.  The use cases,
implementation notes, and above all the means for choosing embeddings,
honoring licenses, etc., require a roadmap of progressive improvements.  And
there is already here the least that could possibly work and can be used for
some trials and resiliency testing with existing ODF consumers.

 - Dennis

PS: It was considered that a special kind of xlink:href could be used to
directly embed font data in the single-XML document case.  A better,
less-dangerous approach would be to allow an <office:binary-data> element as
an alternative child in those places where an xlink:href is an option.  There
would need to be another way to know the MIME type and it is probably time to
add some attributes to the <office:binary-data> element to facilitate that.
This would require down-the-road, ODF 1.3+ work.