incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: on Wikipedias in various languages
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:27:00 GMT

That's not an apt comparison.  There is a historical way of dropping off "support" in the
OO.o line and the LO line.  I would expect support for 3.2.x to be minimal (although there
is some concern now for a security fix back that var).  But the license and other matters
make it very difficult for us to even do a security patch for OO.o 3.3.0, let alone a maintenance
release, as everyone here knows.  I still get automatic updates for Windows XP SP3 and Office
2007 (haven't looked at my Office 2003 updates, will have to do that).  Office 2000 and 2002
are how old?

I tend to think of Apache OpenOffice as the *reboot* of, which is different
than the fork, because of the bringing along, at great effort, of http://*,
its various services, the extension site, etc.  I suppose possession of the bugzilla counts
for something too.  The mailing list and email/ID system are below the line and will certainly
look like a break in continuity with regard to the extended community.

I wonder what is French for "reboot."

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir []
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 03:59
Subject: Re: on Wikipedias in various languages

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 5:20 AM, FR web forum <> wrote:
> ----- Mail original -----
>>De: "Rob Weir" <>
>>However, inserting a point of view regarding what is and isn't a
>>'fork" is not something that will be well received by other Wikipedia
>>editors.  They want factual information, a neutral point of view,
>>backed by authoritative citations.
> You are right Rob
> And french WP editors confirm: AOO is a fork.
> Reason: old releases are not supported by ASF

That is an odd definition of a fork.  Microsoft does not support
versions of Microsoft Office before Office 2003. Does that mean
Microsoft Office is a fork also?

> and english WP article is a Marketing message.
> See:
> If you have some information to contradict them, you should publish
> your official position on Apache blog.

You can also find a citation for an opposing view point and then
change the article to say, "Some authors saying that AOO is a fork,
others point out that AOO is a direct continuation of the code, the
website and the trademark..."

View raw message