incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Improving the look of the our website
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 00:11:43 GMT
First, I want to congratulate Dave, Kay, Gavin, and Joe for all of the work and no small amount
of sleep-deprived nail-biting to kick off the cut-over to ASF custody and operation of the
openoffice.org static web site.

This is a big day.

The journey of the site through Apache OpenOffice incubation now has a tangible existence
in the world.

Concerning reviews, defects, clean-ups, etc.,

 1. It is easy to see many little things and perhaps some big things.

 2. It is easier to report a defect than to provide a "patch" and there are many more folks
who can do the first while having no idea about the second.  Also, it is rather incoherent
for many of the little things to require bug reports.

 3. My suggestion is to use some structure on the wiki to visually capture observations, evidence,
and suggestions of remedies.  Some will be defects that may need to be reported via bugzilla.
 Some will be recognition of improvement opportunities and suggestions.  Using a coherent
structure also allows folks to see and review the observations and suggestions that have already
been made, saving repetition and perhaps inspiring further comments.

I'm not sure what is a good structure, and it would probably have to be curated by someone
who keeps it edited and tidy.

My thought would be use of OOOUSERS.  For the truly obsessive, a progression (but on the web
structure) such as my offering on the Windows Installation process may be appealing: <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.
 This is meant to be updated/branched as new builds change the information and as additional
variations are explored.

There is similar visualizable material on the discussion of logos and icons, <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal>.

Also, commenting is easy and list posts can refer to the materials relatively easily.  (I
think I'll put permalinks to anchors on those so it is even easier to point to particular
places and images.)

I'm off on other tasks.  I'll see what I can do in the next 24 hours to seed something for
site review, etc.

 - Dennis