incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Setup of ooo-users-it and ooo-project-it mailing lists
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:13:19 GMT
I say do the pair.  I see no reason not to trust your experience and judgment.  That goes the
same for any other NL group active enough to want an NL list on the podling and having active
PPMC members to support them.

I think enough is known to avoid a slippery slope into mailing-list chaos.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@openoffice.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 16:51
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On 13/12/2011 Shane Curcuru wrote:
> How much traffic do the existing Italian lists get?

The ones that we would map to the "users" list got a bit more than 1000
messages in 2011 so far; the ones that we would map to the "projects"
list got about 300, but OpenOffice.org is a mostly inactive project, so
when there is something to do for volunteers (read it as: strings to
translate for localizers and need for pre-release tests for QA
volunteers) in Apache OpenOffice we will see far more activity in the
"projects" list, so it would be good to have it from the beginning.

> While I definitely understand the desire to have some user focus to some
> of the lists (who are probably not very tolerant of lots of technical
> discussions), and have a place to discuss project issues, I'm really
> concerned that we're simply making more and more lists, and will end up
> like OOo was with too many lists.

Well, 12 to 2 is already a significant reduction in the number of lists.

The main problem is that we have two large, distinct, memberships: the
overlap between the peer support ("users") lists and the volunteers
("project") lists is limited to a few dedicated people, the others
belong to either the "users" or the "project" area and merging the
groups doesn't make a lot of sense, regardless of the traffic. It would
be, obvious differences aside, like merging the Italian and French lists
because the combined traffic is not huge.

So I'd still prefer that we map the existing dichotomy to two different
lists, but if you or anyone else have a strong preference that we start
with one list only, we can start with a "users" list and try to replace
only a subset of the current Italian lists.

Regards,
   Andrea.